Welcome to Weather in Hong Kong in December, where winter brings a dry and clear atmosphere, making it the perfect season to explore this vibrant city. We’ll delve into the weather conditions, what to wear, and exciting activities to make the most of your December trip to Hong Kong.
In December, Hong Kong experiences a delightful shift into its “winter” season, characterized by average low and high temperatures of 16°C (61°F) and 20°C (68°F) respectively. Expect a gentle decrease in daily high and low temperatures, making it comfortable for daytime exploration and cooler evenings.
Sunshine and Rainfall
December showers Hong Kong with sunshine, offering clear days with reduced ultraviolet radiation. The city experiences one of its driest months, with only around 30mm of precipitation spread across four days. Waterproofs or umbrellas are rarely needed, allowing you to travel light.
Snow and Frost
While low altitudes may feel cold, there is no snow or frost in Hong Kong during December. Higher altitudes, such as the New Territories, might experience a light frost towards the end of the month.
December blooms in Hong Kong bring about flowers like the pink powder puff, camellia, rainbow pink, poinsettia, and big marigold. Visitors prone to allergies are advised to use dust masks or take appropriate medication.
What to Wear and Prepare
Pack autumn clothes for the daytime and warmer winter attire for the evenings. A coat may be needed occasionally, and a warm hat can come in handy when the temperature drops. Consider bringing skin care products to combat dry skin, and you can purchase these in Hong Kong if needed.
Things to Do in the Best Weather in Hong Kong in December
- Winter Solstice Festival Dinner
- Experience one of the most important Chinese festivals on December 21st or 22nd.
- Join locals in special dinners with family and friends, or explore restaurants offering winter solstice menus.
- Hong Kong Winter Festival
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of Christmas celebrations throughout December.
- Visit Queen Square in Central to witness 18-meter-high Christmas trees and participate in traditional festivities.
- New Year Celebrations
- Witness the spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks along Victoria Harbor.
- Enjoy fireworks shows at various locations, including Tsim Sha Tsui and Wan Chai.
- Shopping Extravaganza
- Take advantage of holiday season sales for a shopping spree in Hong Kong’s bustling markets and malls.
- Hong Kong Food Festival
- Indulge your taste buds in global delicacies at the Hong Kong Food Festival starting on December 24th or 25th.
- Explore the Mega Showcase for exhibitions of famous food brands.
- December is a peak season, especially during Christmas and Chinese New Year, so book accommodations and flights in advance.
- Expect higher prices during this period due to increased tourism.
- Explore nearby destinations like Guilin, Yunnan, and Harbin for a diverse experience.
Hong Kong in December is a captivating blend of festive cheer, delightful weather, and exciting activities. Whether you’re savoring a Winter Solstice Festival dinner or reveling in the New Year’s Eve fireworks, this guide ensures you make the most of your December adventure in this dynamic city. Embrace the magic of Hong Kong’s winter wonderland!